Potato is favourite of almost every one. Preparing bajjis, bondas, vada pav or Aloo tikky are common now a days. Potato is normally the basic ingredient in most of the North Indian dishes. These dishes have become very very popular world wide.
I have prepared potato patties using bread and potatoes. I also have done a curry or ragda using tomatoes, spice and a little amount of boiled peas. For the tangy taste I used mango chutney. Mango Chutney mixes well with spice and adds taste to the curry.
Lets see the recipe.
Things needed :
For the patties:Potatoes : 4 to 5 medium sized
Brown Bread slices : 6 to 8
Coriander leaves : 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder : a pinch.
Garam Masala powder : 1 Tea spoon
Red Chilly Powder : 1 Tea spoon
Jeera Powder : 1/2 Tea spoon
Oil : To shallow fry : 3 to 4 Table spoons.
Oats : 2 Table spoons.
Salt : According to taste.
For the gravy.Fresh peas or dried peas : 1 Cup
Tomatoes : 2 to 3
Mango Chutney : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Garam Masala Powder : 1 1/2 Tea spoon
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon
Coriander seeds : 1 Tea spoon
Coriander Leaves : 1/2 Cup
Salt : to taste
Green Chilly : 2
Chilly Powder : 1 Tea spoon
Pepper pods : 3 to 4
Cooked Peas : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Oil : 1 Table spoon
Ghee or butter : 1 Tea spoon
Cinnamon : a small piece.
Lemon juice or tamarind pulp : 1 Table spoon. (1 lemon extract).
Method : Gravy1.Wash and boil peas and potatoes for 6 to 8 minutes and leave it for cooling. ( Remove the skin and smash potatoes and keep it aside).
2. Grind, mango chutney, 1 tea spoon of garam masala powder, jeera, coriander seeds, coriander leaves, green chilly, tomatoes and cooked peas. ( 2 to 3 table spoons). Remove from the jar and keep it aside.
3. Now keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add 1 table spoon of oil and 1/2 Tea spoon of jeera, a small piece of cinnamon. (dalchinni). Let it turn slightly golden brown.
1. Take already smashed potatoes in a bowl. Add cut coriander leaves, salt, garam masala powder and little jeera powder.
3. Dry roast oats and dry grind it. Add ground oats to potato mixture.
6. Give a shape according to your wish. Put this pattie on the hot tava. Cook till it turn brown.
7. Turn the other side and cook nicely. At time 4 patties can be cooked.
To top up : (optional)
Onion or Carrot : 1
and curd (optional)
You should use fresh chutney to get the good result. You should not over cook potatoes. You can also serve this Mango Masala Patties with sweet and hot chutney. ( Katta - meeta chutney). Adding more peas is optional. I have used fresh peas. Dry pea pods are also can be used.Wash and soak dry peas in water (plain water) for 4 hours. Using onions and garlic is purely optional. Using cut onions also optional. You can use grated carrots instead of onions. You can also use chat masala instead of hot and sweet chutney.
Preparation time : 20 minutes.
Cooking Time : 30 minutes.
Total time : 50 minutes to 1 hour.
If using dry peas then another 5 hours or over night .
Serves : 3 to 4.
Link to Mango Chutney :