Here I have used Oodalu / Barnyard millet, moong dal and some simple spices.
Let us see how they are called in different languages.
In Kannada /Karnataka it is called as Oodalu, in Tamil - Kuttiravaali, even in Telugu it is called as Oodalu too. In Hindi - Sanwa or Jhangora and Malayalam - Kavadapullu.
Let us see the benefits of Barnyard millet.
Barnyard millet helps in diabetes, improve the digestive system. It is said that it helps to lower the risk of cancer. It detoxify the body, improves our respiratory health, boost immune system, increase energy level and improve the muscle and nerve health. It helps in controlling the cholesterol level in our body. They are rich in nutrition. Barnyard millet is rich in Vitamin B, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc and magnesium. They are loaded with dietary fiber. Barnyard millet is free from gluten.
Let us see the recipe now :
No Onion or No Garlic is used in Oodalu /Barnyard Millet Kichidi.
Ingredients :Oodalu / Barnyard Millet : 1 Cup
Moong Dal : 1/2 Cup
Green chilly : 2
Pepper Pods : 6 to 8
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Ingh/Asafoetida : A pinch
Ginger : 1 Teaspoon ( An inch ).
Curry leaves : 6 to 8
Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Cashew Nuts : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Salt : As required
Method :1. Wash and cook moong dal and Oodalu separately
2. Wash and slit green chilly, cut coriander leaves and curry leaves.
3. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger and grate it, keep it aside.
4. Crush pepper pods and keep it aside.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add ghee jeera, pepper pods and fry for a minute.
6. Add cashew nuts pieces and let it turn golden brown. Add slit green chilly and curry leaves.
7. Keep a pan and add cooked moong and oodalu/Barnyard millet. Mix it well.
8. Add required water and mix it well. Add required salt. a pinch of turmeric powder and let it boil for 2 to 4 minutes. Add seasoned jeera to the cooked Kichidi.
9. Mix it slowly and shift the ready Oodalu Kichidi to a serving bowl.
10. Serve with papad, pickle, ghee and a cup of curd.
Note :You can wash and soak Oodalu grain for some time. ( 10 minutes). So that it cooks soft and is easy to digest.
Adding any amount of ghee is optional. Adding more /less red chilly is optional.
Time : 20 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.