North India and Punjabis and Chapatis, that is what it was to be. I mean only the North Indians and Punjabis used to have chapatis regularly. We South Indians rarely used to make chapatis in those days. Making chapatis was a big news and what ever you do it used to turn hard or dry in our home.
Punjab is known as wheat cradle since the growth of wheat is highest.
Making chapatis or eating chapatis are good for diet is a well known version now. These Indian breads of different varieties, have got very famous in these days. Even some doctors suggest the people to have chapatis instead of rice because rice digest easily and you get hungry soon. That might be true. Eating wheat helps to stay full for a long time.
Anyways chapati turns soft and fluffy and we have become experts these days.
Soft Chapatis are good for any age group and it helps to digest the food easily.
I have used wheat flour, little oil, very little coriander leaves and a boiled potato to prepare these soft chapatis. They are healthy and energetic. Remember boiled potatoes are good for every one. Even the diabetic people also can have boiled potato in limit proportion.
Adding boiled potatoes make the chapati really soft and fluffy.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things Needed :Wheat Flour : 2 Cups
Boiled Potato : 1 ( Medium sized )
Green Chilly :
Jeera :Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Coriander Leaves : 1 Tablespoon
Salt : As required
Ghee : 1 Tablespoon
Oil : 2 t 3 Tablespoons
Method :1. Boil 1 potato and remove the outer layer and smash it. Keep it aside.
2. Wash and Green chilly into very small pieces.
3. Wash and cut coriander leaves into very small. (Use only leaves).
4.Take a big bowl and put wheat flour, smashed potato paste, cut green chilly, jeera/cumin seeds, salt and ghee.
5. Mix all the ingredients nicely and then add water and prepare chapati dough. ( Add little water at time).
6. No need to rest the dough. Kneed the dough nicely and divide them into small portion. Turn them as ball shape.
7. Take a small portion of the dough and dip in dry wheat flour. Roll them as chapati.
8. Keep the tava on the fire and heat. Put rolled chapati on tava and put little oil on the top.
9. Turn the chapati and cook on other side. Spread some oil on the top.
10. Soft Potato Spicy Chapati is ready to serve. Serve with the side dishes you have prepared.
11. Repeat the same and prepare all the chapatis.
12. We had this Soft Potato Spicy Chapati with carrots mosaru bajji, raita, pickles and mango tokku.
Note :Add only required water while preparing the dough. Adding boiled potato helps the chapati to be very soft. Adding any masala is optional. Use of more /less oil is optional. Use of more chilly is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 6 to 8 Chapatis can be prepared.