Onion Bonda is prepared using besan,rice flour and some spices. Though eating fried dish is not good for health but once in a way it is ok to have them. It is simple, easy and quick to prepare. Most of the ingredients will be always at home and when ever you feel like having some pakodas you can prepare it quickly. It is always better to have home made dishes.
Lets see the recipe now.
Besan/Channa flour/ Kadale hittu/Kadale Maavu : 1 Cup
Rice flour : 1 Cup
Onions : 2 to 3 (Medium sized)
Green chilly : 2
Red chlli Powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Coriander leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Ginger : a small piece
Oil : 1 Cup + 2 Tablespoons
Sodium bicarbonate/ Cooking Soda : a pinch
Method :1. Remove the outer skin of onions and wash it. Wash coriander leaves, curry leaves and green chilly.
2. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger and remove the outer skin and wash it again. Grate it.
3. Cut onions, green chilly, coriander leaves and curry leaves into thin pieces.
4. Put rice flour, besan/channa flour, salt and a pinch of sodium bicarbonate in a big bowl.
6. Mix all the ingredients nicely and then add required water and mix it nicely and prepare the dough.
8. Take little dough and just roll it a little (giving a round shape) and leave in hot oil.
9.Fry them nicely on both sides, remove from the oil and put it on the kitchen tissue.
12. Serve with ketch up or coconut chutney.
Note :Mix all the ingredients nicely and then add water little by little. The dough should be thick. Thick dough helps to give a a ball shape while dropping the dough to the frying pan. These onion bondas are soft in side and crispy outside. Adding more or less chilly is optional. Adding 2 Tablespoons of hot oil helps the bonda to get crispy. The size of the bonda according to your wish. (small/big). You can also add little raw coriander seeds. Crush the coriander seeds and then add it to the dough while preparing. Adding little water helps the bonda to be soft. Do not make it more liquid. Then you can not make it as round and it absorb more oil while frying.
Preparation time : 5 Minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Total Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3 to 4.