Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Butura with chole

This is my old post. I thought of update with some of the pictures I clicked while I prepared baturas. Recently Deepa Kulkarni one of my face book friend had put up the batura recipe too. I modified my recipe of this batura. Previously I used to add cooking soda while preparing batura dough. But in this recipe I have not added any cooking soda or yeast or baking powder. Buturas turned fluffy and with crunchy layers. Thanks to Deepa Kulkarni and her post.
READY TO SERVE BUTURA -CHOLE
Batura  is fried poori and you can have it for break fast or at dinner. Chole or Channa Masala gravy is very good combination.
Barura is very famous Punjabi dish, and its well known International favourable dish of many. Not only Indians the whole parts of the world people do love this Butura with Chole.
Chole is nothing but Whole Channa. Its soaked for about 4 to 5 hours and then cooked with spices. Lets talk about chole in our next posts.
Coming back to batura it is made of maida (self rising flour). One of my face book friend has done this batura and I tried it in the same way. It came out really fluffy without using cooking soda. Though it was the same method I did this batura previously I have used cooking soda to give a softness to batura. But here no cooking soda or yeast added and the dough doubled nicely and the baturas were soft too. It did not absorb much oil either. Me a happy person with fluffy baturas and chole ( done with my own recipe), we all really enjoyed especially my son who longs for these baturas.
Lets see the recipe now.

Ingredients :


Maida ( White flour ) 2 Cups
Curd : 2 Tablespoons
Ghee : 1 Tablespoon
Sugar : 1 teaspoon
Oil : 1 cup or little more


Method :

1. Put maida, 2 tablespoons of curd, 1 teaspoon of sugar, required salt and a tablespoon of ghee in a big bowl.
2. Mix all the ingredients nicely and prepare dough. Do not add any water. Set it aside and close with a lid. (at least for 5 to 6 hours).
3. The dough up (fluffy) by the time.
4. Mix it again and kneed it well. Divide the dough into small ball size. (According to your wish).
5. Keep a frying pan on the fire. Add oil and heat.
6. Touch little oil with each poori dough and roll them in circle shape with the help of rolling pin.
7. Arrange the rolled pooris in a small plate.
8. Fry them nicely on both side. (one by one) in hot oil. Place them on the kitchen tissue. ('It absorbs extra oil).
9. Now serve hot Baturas with chole and some onion pieces or vegetable salad and a cup of curd.
10. Serve them while they are hot. It taste better when they are hot.

Note : 

I have used ghee along with maida to prepare the dough. You can use butter instead of ghee. Do not add any water. Adding more curd or little more maida if the dough turns too soft is advisable.  Preparing big batura is optional. You need to use bigger pan and more oil to prepare bigger baturas.
Time : 30 minutes + 5 to 6 hours to rest the dough
Serves : 4 to 5.
For chole : Soak channa for 4 to 5 hours and pressure cook for at least 20 minutes. Then keep a pan add oil and jeera. Add tomatoes and cooked channa. Add salt and spices of your choice. Add salt. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Add little milk and coriander leaves.
Will add detailed channa curry post later.

2 comments:

Jack fruits Seeds Tikki

Jack fruits are healthy Seasonal fruits. The seeds also contain lots of good vitamins and minerals.  After eating the fruit we throw away th...

About

author
My name is Nalini Somayaji. Teaching is my profession. Cooking is my passion. Reading, travelling, visiting new places, having fun with kids are some of the hobbies I can say. My recipes are Healthy, quick, easy and simple. Grown up being a traditional family member I love and respect Indian culture and traditions. Love classical dance and music.
Learn More →