The dough used for Cabbage, Dil dosa is Pathrode dough. Patrode is one of the traditional dish prepared in South Kanara ( South Karnataka or Dakshina Kannada). Colocasia (Kesu) leaves are used with this spicy dough and Pathrode is prepared. The dough is prepared using Raw Rice, little methi (Fenugrik) seeds, Tamarind, coriander seeds, red chilly etc. I have used the same dough for preparing cabbage dosa and dil leaves dosa. Since I have prepared the dough for patrode and it was little more and used it for Cabbage dosa and Dil leaves Dosa.
Lets us see some benefits of having Cabbage in our diet.
Cabbage is is used not only as vegetables it it also used for treatment for constipation, stomach ulcers, headaches, obesity, skin disorders, jaundice,arthritis, gout, eye dis orders aging. It is good for people who are suffering from Vitamin C deficiency. Cabbage is very rich in fiber and good remedy for constipation and other digestion-related problems. Cabbage is rich in sulphur and helps to fight infections in wounds. Cabbage has a good source of anti oxidants. It is good source of minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium. It is good for balancing blood pressure.
Now lets see the recipe.
Things Needed : For Patrode DoughRaw Rice : 3 Cups
Urid Dal : 1 Table spoon
Methi Seeds : 1 Tea spoon
Tamarind : 3 to 4 marble size
Jaggery : 3 to 4 Table spoons
Coriander Seeds : 3 Table spoons (or One handful)
Jeera : 2 Tea spoons
Turmeric powder : 1/4 Tea spoon
Coconut : 1 Cup
Red chilly : 8 to 10
Salt : Required
Ingh (Asafoetida) : a pinch
Method :1. Wash and soak raw rice, urid dal and methi seeds altoget for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Grate Coconut and keep it aside. Soak tamarind in normal water for 10 minutes. (It becomes soft).
3. Now grind coconut, coriander seeds, red chilly and jeera, ingh and soaked tamarind for 2 minutes.
4. Remove water from soaked rice and grind rice along with spices. ( if you are using mixi jar divide the portion in to 2). Use water little by little while grinding.
5. Grind the dough till paste and add jaggery and salt. Grind for 2 minutes.
6. Remove the ground mixture in a big bowl.
Note :Do not add more water while grinding. The dough may turn watery and dosa may not be tasty. Adding more or less jaggery is optional. Adding tamarind quantity also optional. (less or more). When you prepare Patrode , then only you need more tamarind. Using less tamarind is advisable. You can also add 2 to 3 table spoons of toor dal to patrode dough. It gives a different taste.
2. Cabbage DosaThings Needed :
Pathrode Dough : 2 ro 3 Cups
Cabbage (Cut) : 2 Cups
Oil : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Butter : 2 Table spoons
1. Wash and cut cabbage into small pieces. Keep it aside.
2. Now keep a pan on the fire and heat. Sprinkle oil on the dosa pan.
3. Just stir the dough once and take a spoonful and spread it round like dosa.
6. Cover and cook for 1 minute. Now turn the other side slowly and cook for 10 to 20 seconds.
7. Take out from the pan and serve with a spoon of butter on the top
8. We can do it this way too. Just mix cut cabbage to the dough.
10. Cook on both sides using little oil on the top
11. Repeat the same with remaining dough.
12. You can serve Hot Cabbage dosas with Ghee instead of butter.
Time : 30 minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4
3. Dil Leaves Dosa :
Dil Leaves : 1 Cup
Oil : 2 to 3 Table spoons.
Method :1. Wash and cut dil leaves (only leaves and soft stems).
2. Add it to the Dosa batter and prepare dosa any other dosas.
3. You can spread the dough and top up with dil leaves also. ( like above said cabbage dosa).
Time : 30 minutes + ( Soaking time 4 hours )Serves : 3 to 4 .