It is one of the dish prepared even in Temples.
Temple Food :
I have used harive soppu, mustard seeds, tamarind and red chilly ( Byadagi chilly ) and coconut.
Mustard seeds help us to digest the food easily, keeps our body warm and take care of our health.
Kempu Harive/Amaranth leaves Sasive is one of the traditional dish of Udupi/Karnataka. It is one of the traditional dish prepared on festival or feast day in temples.
The food prepared in temples do not have Onions or Garlic. It is easy, simple and quick.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Ingredients :To Cook :
Harive soppu/Amaranth Leaves : 1 Small bundle
To Grind :
Coconut : 1 Cup: Fresh and grated
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Red chilly : 4 to 5
Ingh / Asafoetida : A pinch
Tamarind : A small marble size
To Season :
Coconut Oil : 1 Teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingh /Asafoetida : A pinch
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
To Add :
Salt : As required
Turmeric Powder :
Method :1. Wash and cut harive soppu/amaranth leaves and cut into small pieces.
2. Pressure cook with little water. ( 4 to 5 minutes).
3. Grate coconut and grind it with half teaspoon mustard seeds, byadagi chilly, small marble size tamarind and little ingh. Add required water to grind.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and add cooked harive soppu. Add turmeric powder. Add required salt and mix it well. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes.5. Add ground coconut - mustard seeds mixture. Mix it well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add required water if necessary.
6. Shift the ready Kempu Harive /amaranth leaves Sasive to a serving dish.
7. Add mustard seeds, ingh, curry leaves seasoning done in coconut oil.
8. Serve with the main dish you have prepared.
Note :Hot plain rice is a good combination for this Kempu Harive Sasive. Sasive means mustard seeds.
Mustard seeds are good for digestion. It is full of fiber. Adding more chilly is optional. Use of little tamarind is advised. Use of 1/2 Teaspoon of moong dal or soaked raw rice while grinding coconut is advised. It mixes all the ingredients nicely.
Time : 20 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4 .
Purely South Canara /Udupi Style / Indian Recipes.