Urd Rava idlis are made of Urd daal and Samolina or Rava or Sooji . ( miedium size ). Using Rava instead of rice is a healthy thought. Idlis are one of the healthy food. Urad dal is used with rice or rawa and idlis are prepared grinding the soaked urad dal and then leave it for ferment and then that dough is steamed. Healthy idlis are ready to serve. We can eat this Rava idly at any time of the day. It is good for breakfast, lunch , evening snack or for dinner. Its soft and light, healthy and good for all age group.
Lets see the benefits of having Urad dal and Rava (semolina) in our diet.
Black Gram is rich in Vitamins, minerals and cholesterol free. It is rich in calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese.
Urad dal contains vitamins and dietary fibers. Urad dal contain high level of potassium. Potassium helps to reduce the high blood pressure. Apart from all the qualities said above Urad dal also helps in increasing body bulk and body energy level. It strengthens the body and increase lifespan.
Rava is known as Sooji or Semolina too. It is made from durum wheat.
Rava is good for diabetics and good for people who wants to shed their weight.
Rava is low in fat and high in carbohydrates. It provides lots of energy.
Rava is low in sodium and cholesterol and also high in fiber. It can be balanced diet.
Sooji has very less saturated fats, cholesterol.
Rava is loaded with the vitamin B complex and it is also high in Vitamin E.
We can prepare these idli during fasting days and some special days
These idlis are healthy and Rava is very good substitute for rice. It is very good for diabetic patients and also all age group.
Here is a recipe of Rava Urid Idlis ,loaded with good that can be a good breakfast, evening snack or for dinner.
Ingredients "Rava : 2 cups.
Urd daal : 1 full cup.
Salt : to taste.
Ghee or Oil : 1 Tea spoon.
Method :1. Wash and soak Urd daal for 3 to 4 hours. Grind it nicely. If you are using Mixi Jar use water little by little while grinding.
2. Remove from the Mixi jar and put it in a big bowl, add salt and let it ferment. ( At least 6 to 7 hours or over night).
3. Pressure cook Dry rava for 10 minutes. ( Use weight while cooking). Leave it for cooling.
|Put some water and keep a small bowl upside down|
|Place Dry Rava bowl on the top of the small bowl.|
4. Remove the dry cooked rava and powder it nicely using the fingers. ( since it has hardened while cooking).
5. Mix rava with required water and mix it well ( even you can put lots of water and mix it nicely and keep it aside for 2 to 3 minutes and then drain extra water).
7. Now apply oil on idli plates. Put a spoon of idli dough and steam in a idli cooker or pressure cooker for 7 to 8 minutes.
8. Remove from the idli plates and serve hot idly with a side dish you have prepared.
9. Put a spoon of ghee or butter just before serving Idli.
Note :Do not add water while cooking rava.
Put rava in a container or tie it with a clean towel tightly.
Now put some water in pressure cooker. Place a bowl upside down in the bottom part. Place the container of dry rava and cover with a plate and close the lid of pressure cooker. Put weight. Let it cook nicely for 10 minutes. Put off the fire and let rava cool. Use it when it is completely cool. Do not add any cooking soda. You can soak rava in water and remove all the water from rava and then add it to the ground ferment Urid dal. (It gives white colour to idli. (Optional). Or just powder it when it is cooled and add it to the urid dal. (It takes lot of your time to mix it nicely).
You can also dry roast rava on low flame till the disappear the raw smell. ( at least 6 to 8 minutes on low flame) and then mix it well.
Cooking time : 30 minutes.
24 idlis can be prepared.