Ash Gourd is filled with nutritious, vitamins and medicinal values. We do use each part of this vegetable, like the outer layer is used for preparing chutney. The vegetable is used for curry and other dishes. The inner part/pulp is used for curd curry and the seeds are dried and dry roasted and eaten.
Here I have prepared " Bolu Huli " which means curry that does not have coconut init. So the curries which are prepared with out using the coconut is called " Bolu ". ( ಬೋಳು).
Let us see some benefits of eating Ash Gourd /ಬೂದು ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ .
Ash gourd is also known as kumbalakayi. booda kumbalakayi in Kannada. The pumpkin is known as sihi kumbala.
Ash gourd is good for diabetic people. It is also good for loosing extra weight. Ash gourd juice helps to treat acidity and peptic ulcer. Ash gourd is good for people who suffer from constipation.
Ash Gourd is rich in fiber and contain Vitamin C and minerals like phosphorus, iron and calcium.
Let us see the recipe Now :
No Onion or No Garlic is used in this Ash Gourd - Moong Dal Bolu Huli /Curry.
Ingredients :Ash Gourd : 1 Big bowl. (250 Grams).
Moong Dal : 1 Small cup. /2 to 3 Tablespoons
Green chilly : 3 to 4
Tomatoes : 2 ( Medium sized )
Ginger : An inch
Salt : As required
Turmeric Powder : A pinch
Coriander leaves : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Lemon : 1/2 lemon juice /1 Teaspoon
For seasoning :
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh / Asafoetida : A pinch ( A little )
Method :1. Wash Ash gourd nicely and remove its outer hard layer. Remove the pulp and seeds.
2. Cut the vegetable into small pieces. Keep it aside.
3. Wash tomatoes, curry leaves, coriander leaves, green chilly and keep it aside.
4. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger and wash it again. Grate it and keep it aside.
5. Cut tomatoes, slit green chilly and cut coriander leaves. Wash and cut lemon in to halves. Squeeze out the extract from half lemon.
6. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put oil and mustard seeds. Put urid dal.
7. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add slit green chilly, ingh and curry leaves. Add grated gu
8. Wash and remove the water from moong dal and add it to mustard seeds seasoning.
9. Fry nicely for 1 to 2 minutes. Add cut ash gourd pieces, tomatoes and put some water.
10. Pressure cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Let it cool.
11. Put cooked ash gourd - moong mixture. Add salt, turmeric powder and mix it. Add required water and let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes.. Add lemon extract.
12. Shift Ash gourd - moong dal bolu huli /curry to serving bowl. Serve with the main dish you have prepared.
Note :Use of pressure cooker is optional. You can cook it separately. Prepare the seasoning and add cooked ingredients and them mix it. Adding any other spices is optional. Adding more chilly is optional. Adding a tablespoon ghee to curry is optional. It adds to the taste.
Time 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.