Pearl millet is known as Bajri in Rajastani, Gujarati and Marati. Sajje in Kannada and Kambu in Tamil, Sajjalu in Telugu and Kambam in Malayalam. Bajra in Hindi, Urdu and Panjabi.
Pearl millet is highly nutritious and a gluten free grain. It is full of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It is high in protein and rich in fiber content. Consumption of pearl millet is good remedy for people who are suffering from constipation. It is also good for diabetics and keeps the glucose levels normal. It controls blood sugar levels. It also helps in lowering the cholesterol. It is rich in starch and this makes it a great source of energy. It is rich in minerals like phosphorus, iron and zinc.
Here is a recipe of healthy Pearl Millet Roti which can be eaten for breakfast, snack time or dinner.
I have used sajje/pearl millet flour, onions, coconut and little spices to add the taste and to be healthy.
Things Needed:Pearl Millet : 3 Cups
Boiling water : 3 Cups
Normal water : as required
Salt : as required
Onions : 2
Curry leaves : 1 Handful
Coriander leaves : 1 Handful
Green chilly : 2
Coconut gratings : 1 Cup
Ginger grated : 1 Tablespoon
Jeera /Cumin seeds: 1 Teaspoon
Oil/Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
1. Put Pearl Millet in a big bowl.
3. Wash and cut green chilly, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
4. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger and wash it again. Grate it and keep it aside.
5. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
6. Now take a big bowl and add Sajje/Pearl Millet flour, coconut, ginger gratings, cut coriander and curry leaves, cut green chilly, salt and jeera.
7. Mix it nicely and add boiling water to it. Cover the flour bowl and leave it for 5 minutes.
8. Now mix the flour nicely with required water. Use normal water to prepare the dough.
9. It should be little loose and able to spread on hot tava.
10. Keep a tava and heat. Clean it nicely with kitchen towel.
11. Sprinkle 2 to 3 drops of oil and put a handful of Sajje Rotti doung. Spread it with your finger.
12. Spread in a circle shape. Sprinkle some oil on the top and cover and cook on medium flame.
13. Turn the other side and cook for a minute. ( Add oil on the top)
14. Sajje rotti is ready to serve. Serve with butter/ghee on the top and the side dish of your choice.
Adding more /less onions are optional. Let the dough be like idli dough. It will help you to spread the dough as thin as your choice. Thinner rotti taste nice. Adding more chilly is optional. Let the flame be very low while spreading the dough on the tava.
Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3 to 4 : Plain Sajje/Pearl Millet Rotti
You can also prepare plain rotti as it is very healthy and there is no need of any other ingredients.
This rotti is good for diet and stomach filling too.
Just mix the flour with water and salt. Mix it nicely. Let it be thicker than idli dough. Hot water helps the rotti to be soft and nice.
Mix the flour with required water and spread it on hot tava. Sprinkle oil on the top, cover and cook.
Remove the cover and turn the rotti other side and cook. Cook on medium and low flame.
Time : 25 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3