I have used this Knol knol, Bombay leaves and some spices and prepared the curry.
Knol knol/gadde kosu/Navil kosu/shalgam/nool kol/Turnip is one of the good vegetable which is loaded with beneficial properties.
Lets see some benefits of eating Knol khol in our diet.
Knol knol is a perennial and cool season vegetable.Knol Knol is rich in vitamins and dietary fiber. It is very low in calories and fat. It has no cholesterol in it. It is rich in anti oxidant property and it helps body to protect from diseases and harmful radicals from the body. It is good for strong teeth and gum. Knol Knol contain good amount of many B complex groups of vitamins. It has good amount of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, Iron and phosphorus. It helps to control the blood pressure level. Knol Knol contain Vitamin A and Vitamin K and B complex group of vitamins.
It is a very simple curry with freshly roasted spices aroma spreads while cooking.
We can have this curry with chapatis, pooris, roti, naan. dosa, idli and plain rice.
Ingredients :To Cook
Bombay Basale : 1 Bowl ful
Turnip /Gadde Kosu/ Knol Khol : 4 to 5 (small)
To Roast /fry
Urid Dal : 1 Teaspoon
Coriander Seeds : 2 Tablespoons
Red (byadagi) Chilly : 5 to 6
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh : a pinch
To Grind :
Coconut : 1 small cup (or 1/2 of 1/2 coconut) Fresh
Tamarind : a marble size
Water : Required
To Add :
Salt : as required
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Jaggery : 1 Tablespoon
Ground coconut spice mixture
Methi seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Mustard seeds seasoning with curry leaves, mustard seeds, jeera (1/4 Teaspoon) and curry leaves.+ 1 Teaspoon of coconut oil.
Coriander leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Method :1. Wash and cut leaves and knol khol into small pieces.
2. Cook them with required water till the vegetable gets soft.
3. Keep a small pan on the fire and heat. Put 1/2 Teaspoon of oil . Put Urid dal and fry till they turn golden brown.
4. Add coriander seeds and fry for 30 seconds. Add red chilly and fry for 10 seconds. Put of the fire.
5. Add curry leaves and a pinch of Ingh. Mix it well. Let it cool.
6. Grind grated coconut, tamarind and fried spices with little water. Remove from the mix jar.
7. Keep a big pan on the fire. Put cooked leaves, vegetables, salt and jaggery.
8. Add required water and mix it well. Cook this mixture for 1 minutes.
9. Add ground coconut mixture and mix it nicely. Add 1/4 tablespoon of methi (fenugrik seeds) and mix it well.
10. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in between . Put the ready cuury to a serving bowl.
11. Add mustard seeds, jeera, ingh and curry leaves seasoning with coconut oil.
12. Add cut coriander leaves and serve the curry with your main dish
Note :You can use any edible leaves instead of bombay Basale leaves.(harive , palak, dil, etc). Use of onions and garlic is your choice. You can also use more chilly. Using byadagi (one variety of chilly) chilly adds to taste and colour. You can also use little water and make the curry little more liquid; Use of jaggery is optional. (Adding jaggery helps to reduce the acidity content in the curry. Adding raw methi/fenugrik seeds helps to reduce the cholesterol content.
Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3 to 4