I have used jeera/cumin seeds, green chilly, ingh/asafoetida as spices and moong dal and raw rice.
Let us see some benefits of eating Pepper Pods/Black Pepper in our diet.Black Pepper is called as Kaali Mirch in hindi, nalla miriyalu - Telugu, Karumilaku - Tamil and Kari menasu in Kannada language. It is known as Kurumuluk in Malayalam.
Black pepper is known as king of spices. Black pepper is traded widely to other parts of the world, even in ancient times.
Black pepper is used as spices and medicine.It is loaded with antibacterial and anti - inflammatory properties.Pepper helps in improving digestion, relieve cold and cough. It helps to boost metabolism. It helps in treating skin problems and weight loss. It is good for treating asthama, sinus, nasal congestion. Pepper pods helps to reduce memory impairment and cognitive malfunction. It is helps in treating Alzheimer patients and those who suffer from dementia. Very good for other age related problems. Black pepper benefits in easing gastric problems and peptic ulcers, since they are loaded with antioxidant and anti -inflammatory properties. It contain good amount of dietary fiber.
Black pepper is rich in minerals like manganese, copper, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium and small amount of protein. It has good amount of vitamins like Vitamin K, Vitamin B6.
No Onion or Garlic is used in this Jeera - Pepper Huggi/Khara Pongal. It is very easy to cook, it is simple, delicious and protein rich food.
Let us see the recipe.
Ingredients :To Cook :
Raw rice : 1 Cup
Moong Dal : 1/2 Cup
To Season :
Jeera/cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Pepper Pods : 2 to 3
Ingh/ Asafoetida : A pinch
Green chilly : 2
Curry leaves : 6 to 8
Ghee : 1 Tablespoon
To dry roast :
Jeera /cumin seeds : 1/ 2 Teaspoon
Pepper pods : 5 to 6
To Add :
Pepper and jeera powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Grated Coconut : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Grated Ginger : 1 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Water : 3 Cups of water.
Ghee : 1 Tablespoon
Cashew Nuts : 1 Tablespoon
Method :1. Wash and cook raw rice and moong dal in a pressure cooker.
2. Grate coconut and keep it aside. Wash curry leaves and green chilly. Slit green chilly and keep it aside. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger. ( An inch of ginger). Wash it again and grate it.
3. Keep a pan on the fire and dry roast pepper pods and jeera ( 2 minutes). Dry grind it and keep it aside.
4. Keep a big pan on the fire and heat. Add a tablespoon of ghee and put jeera, pepper pods and fry.
5. Add 3 to 4 pepper pods and 1/2 teaspoon of jeera. Fry them nicely for a few seconds and add green chilly.
6. Fry green chilly for a few seconds and add curry leaves. Add ingh.
7. Put cooked moong dal and rice mixture. Add required salt and ground jeera and pepper powder.
8. Add grated ginger. Mix all the ingredients slowly on very low flame. Let i t be on fire for 2 minutes.
9. Put off the gas. Add grated coconut.
10. Keep a small pan and put ghee. ( 1 tablespoon). Add cashews and fry nicely.
11. Add this fried cashews to ready Khara Pongal.
12. Serve with a cup of curd or coconut chutney with hot Jeera - Pepper Huggi/Khara Pongal.
Note :Do not over cook rice. Adding more green chilly is optional. Adding more ghee is optional. It adds to the taste. Do not stir more . It might turn very soft.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 4 to 5
Purely Karnataka Dish.