We normally do not waste any vegetable or vegetable peel and do make use of it either in chutney or in some other preparations.
This particular cucumber is known as mullu southe in Udupi and Mangalore region. It is very rare and we do make use of this cucumber in chutney, kosumbari and payasa or ganji /porridge.
Let us see some benefits of this Mullu Southekai / Cucumber in our diet.
Cucumber has rich source of nutrients and antioxidants. It contain good amount of water and soluble fiber. It is good for weight loss. It has fiber, zero fat content and low in calories. It has vitamin C and Vitamin K. It contain some amount of protein, manganese, magnesium and potassium. It is good for our skin and eyes. It helps to cool our body.
You need to dip the vegetable in plain water at least 20 minutes. Wash it nicely and then use it.
I have used cucumber peel and some pulp, coconut, tamarind and red chilly.
Let us see the recipe now :
No Onion or Garlic is used in this chutney.
Ingredients :Cucumber Peel : 1 Bowl
Roasted urid dal : 1 Teaspoon
Red byadagi chilly : 4 to 5
Tamarind pulp : 1 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Coconut : 1/2 coconut of small size
Seasoning with coconut oil, mustard seeds, ingh and curry leaves.
Method :1. Wash and soak 1 cucumber in plain water for 30 minutes.
2. Wash again and peel its outer layer and keep it aside. ( I have used some amount of pulp also).
3. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of urid dal.
5. Fry till urid dal turn golden brown. Add red chilly and fry for a minute.
6. Add curry leaves and ingh. Mix it well and put off the gas.
7. Grind fried urid mixture, cucumber peel and pulp, tamarind and required salt. Add very little water to grind.
8. Remove the ground chutney to a serving dish and add mustard seasoning with curry leaves and ingh.
9. Mix it well and serve with the main dish you have prepared.
Note :No need to cook cucumber peel. It looses its property once you cook. Adding more / less chilly is optional. Adding any cooking oil instead of coconut oil is optional. Do not add much water to grind. Chutney turns watery and it does not taste good. Urid dal helps the chutney to bind. (or it turns watery).
Time : 15 Minutes + 30 Minutes to soaking cucumber in plain water.
Serves : 2 to 3 .