Huli gojju is a side dish with huggi. Huli gojju is sweet and savoury dish that is a must do dish with Huggi. We, people from Udupi will not cook huggi with lots of jaggery. The sweet taste is normally mild and adding huli gojju adds to the taste and increase your appetite.
Preparing Huli Gojju is very easy. Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the pulp. Add required jaggery and a green chilly. Allow it to boil till it gets sticky consistency. Then add a mustard seasoning. Huli gojju is ready to serve or eat.
Things Needed :Tamarind : 1 Small Lemon size
Jaggery : 4 to 5 Tablespoons
Salt : As required
Turmeric powder : A little
Green chilly : 1
Ginger : An inch
Pepper Pods : 5 to 6
Coconut Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Red chilly : 1 ( Optional )
Method :1. Wash and soak tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes.
2. Squeeze out the pulp and keep it aside.
3. Keep a pan on the fire and put tamarind pulp, jaggery and salt.
4. Let it boil. Add slit green chilly.
5.Wash and peel off the outer layer of ginger. Wash it again and grate it. Add grated ginger to boiling tamarind pulp. Add crushed pepper.
6. Boil the mixture till it gets sticky consistency.
7. Shift the tamarind - jaggery mixture to a clean bowl.
8. Add seasoned mustard seeds, curry leaves mixture to Huli gojju. /Savoury gojju.
9. Mix it well and add it to huggi when you are serving or eating. Eat huli gojju with sweet huggi.
Note :Do not make the gooju very thick. It should be watery consistency but stick. Adding more jaggery is optional. Use of any cooking oil is optional.
Time 10 Minutes .
Serves : 3 to 4.