Dosa though it it one of the dish from South India, It has become world famous. People love to have dosa any time of the day now a days. It is normally done with rice and urid dal. But it can be prepared using millets instead of rice. All the other procedure are the same. Here I have added some Ash gourd pieces and the pulp while grinding. Hot dosas taste good and in this way you can feed your kid some vegetable. Dosas are crispy when it is hot, turns soft when once it turns cool.
Lets see some benefits of having Ash gourd in our diet.
Ash gourd is an annual herb. It has many good healthy properties in it. It is good for diabetics and weight control. It keeps your body cool and boost secretion and disposal of urine. It acts as good detoxifying agent. It helps to cure Peptic ulcer and kills worms in the intestine. It contain good amount of fiber and good for people who suffer from constipation. It also helps in good digestion. Ash gourd good for treating acidity. It is good for controlling common cold, cough, fever, bronchitis and astama. Ash gourd contain Vitamin C, protein, carbohydrates, fibre, calcium, phosphorous and iron. It is very good for treating prostate enlargement.
The dough should be ferment well to get good dosas.
Lets see the recipe now.
Raw Roce : 4 Cups
Urid Dal : 1 Cup
Beaten/Flatten Rice/ Avalakki/ Aval/ Poha : 1/2 Cup (2 Handful)
Methi/Fenugreek Seeds : 1 Tablespoon
Salt : To taste
Oil. : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
1.Wash and soak rice, urid dal and methi seeds in one bowl. Soak flattened rice in separate bowl at least 3 to 4 hours.
2. Wash and remove the outer skin and cut the ash gourd into pieces. Remove seeds from the pulp.
3. Grind Ash gourd pieces and pulp in dry grinder. (Water should not be used).
4. Grind raw rice, urid dal and methi seeds with flattened rice.
5. If you are using the mixi jar, use less quantity at times. If you use grinder then put all the ingredients together with ground pumpking pieces and pulp.
6. Grind it nicely till paste and remove from the grinder to a big bowl/vessel. Add salt and mix it well.
7. Let the dough ferment over night or at least 6 to 8 hours.
8. Keep a dosa pan on the fire. Heat the pan and sprinkle oil on the tava/pan.
9.Clean it with a kitchen tissue or a clean cloth.
10. Mix the ready dosa dough and take a ladle of dough and spread it on the tava. (Let the fire be on low flame).
11. Sprinkle some (1/2 Teaspoon) oil on the top of dosa and cover it. Cook for a minute on medium flame.
12. Now turn the dosa other side (flip) and cook for 30 seconds.
13. Hot Ash gourd Raw Rice Dosa is ready to serve. Serve with any side dish you have prepared.
14. Repeat the same with remaining dough.
If you use a grinder, grind all the ingredients togher, adding less water because ash gourd has lots of water in it. Grinding Ash gourd in a mixi makes it easy for the grinding. (or you find it difficult to grind in grinder). If you use mixi jar, then use little quantity and grind. It helps you to grind the dough very nicely. Adding ash gourd is optional. You can prepare easy dosas without adding ash gourd too.
Adding ghee instead of oil is optional. Prepare dosas on low and medium flame. (Optional).
Time : Total time 12 hours.
Soaking ingredients : 3 to 4 hours
Grinding : 30 to 40 minutes
Dough fermenting : 6 to 7 hours.
Preparing time : 10 to 20 minutes.
Serves : 7 to 8 people.