Ready to serve Wild Mango Spicy Curry/ಕಾಟು ಮಾವಿನ ಹಣ್ಣಿನ ಮೇಣಸುಕಾಯಿ
This time I just wanted to try one of Udupi Special - Mango Menasukai/Mango curry.
Normally Menasukaayi is prepared using fresh coconut. It is full of spice and taste savoury, sweet and hot. Lots of spices are used and the long procedure too.
I have used fresh roasted spices, mango pulp, jaggery and salt. Coconut is not added so that Mango curry can be kept for many days.
Wild Mango Spicy goes well with dosas, idli, kadubu, rotti, chapati, roti and plain rice. It is good to have with curd rice.
Let us see the recipe Now:
Ingredients :Wild Mango Fruits : 10 to 15 ( Wild mangoes are normally small in size ).
Jaggery : 1/4 Kg.
Salt : As required.
Spices to roast :
Dry chilly /Byadagi : 10 to 15
Channa Dal / Kadale bele : 1 Tablespoon
Urid dal/Uddina bele : 1 Tablespoon
Methi seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Coriander seeds : 3 to 4 Tablespoons. (One handful)
Jeera/Cumin seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Sesame seeds : 2 Tablespoons
Ingh/Asafoetida : 1/4 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : One handful
Coconut oil : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Mustard seeds : 1 Tablespoon
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Curry Leaves : 8 to 10
Method :1. Wash and wipe out the moisture of mango fruits. Let it be aside for 10 minutes. ( Wipe out the complete moisture).
2. Now cut mangoes and squeeze out pulp. Put the mango peel in a glass of water and squeeze out the pulp from peels and seeds.
3. Put all the mango pulp in a big bowl and keep it on the fire. Add jaggery and mix it nicely and let it boil. Let it get thick. Add salt.
4. Dry roast methi seeds, sesame seeds, channa dal, urid dal, red chilly/byadagi chilly, coriander seeds ,jeera and curry leaves one by one. ( Dry roast on low flame till they turn golden brown). Let it cool.
5. Powder all the ingredients once it get cooled.
6. Add little turmeric powder and let the pulp turn bit thick.
7. Add ground spice powder and stir it well. Let it cook and turn thick consistency.
8. Keep a small pan on the fire and put coconut oil and mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
9. Add curry leaves and ingh /Asafoetida and put this seasoning to the cooked mango spicy curry.
10. Shift it to the serving dish and let it cool. Put it in a airtight bottle or any other container and use it whenever you want.
Note :It should be cooked to thick consistency. No need to add coconut to it. If coconut is added it might get spoiled. Keep the Wild mango fruit spicy curry in a fridge. ( Shelf life at least 2 months). Adding any cooking oil is optional. Adding garlic is optional. This is one of the traditional dish of Udupi/Malenaadu. Fresh roasted spices adds to the taste.
Time : 40 Minutes
Serves : 1 Big or 2 Small bottles.
Shelf life : At least 2 months if kept in the fridge.