Spicy dosa is prepared using Patrode dough. Patrode is one of the traditional dish from South Canara and Malnad. Patrode dough contain, raw rice, urid dal methi seeds and some spices like, coriander seeds, jeera, red chilly, tamarind and jaggery.
Onions, palak, dil leaves, cabbage or even brinjals can be added to this dough and prepare dosa.
I just wanted to try this dosa, didnot add any of the above said vegetables. Plain spicy dosa is nice to eat with butter, honey, ghee or jaggery.
Lets see the recipe now:
Things Needed :
Patrode dough : 1 Bowl
Oil : 5 to 6 Table spoons
Water : 1/2 cup
Ghee/Butter : 1 to 2 Teaspoons
1. Just mix the patrode dough once and keep it ready.
2. Keep a dosa pan/tava on the fire and heat. Sprinkle oil on the top of tava.
3. Clean it with kitchen tissue. Take a laddle of dough and spread around on the hot tava.
4. Sprinkle some oil on the dosa and cover it. Cook on medium and low flame.
6. Remove Spicy Dosa from the pan and serve adding little butter on the top.
7. Repeat the same with remaining dough.
Let the flame be low once the tava heated. Cleaning with a kitchen tissue on the tava helps to
be thinner. One must take care while turning dosa to the other side. Adding more/less jaggery is optional. Using more oil/ghee is optional.
Time : 20 Minutes. (if the dough is ready).
Serves : 3 to 4
How to prepare patrode dough :
Soak 2 glasses of raw rice for 2 to 3 hours. Add 1 teaspoon of urid dal and 1/2 Teaspoon omethi/fenugrik seeds while soaking rice. Grate coconut 2 Tablespoons and Wash and grind the
all the ingredients like 2 to 3 tablespoons of coriander seeds, red chilly powder, jaggery and little jeera. together till paste. . Remove from the mixi jar and put it in a big bowl. This is patrode dough.
You can use it for heerekai dosa(Ridge gourd, cabbage, onions, brinjals also. Palak , dil leaves, methi leaves also can be cut into small pieces and then prepare Dosa.