Nagara Panchami is one of the festival which falls in the month of Shravana. On this day Snakes are worshiped by Hindus through out India and other parts of the world where Hindus live. People pray for snakes to get their blessings and welfare of the family. According to Garuda Purana offering prayers to snake on this day is auspicious and will usher good health and wealth in one's life. This day there is a custom that girls pray for their brother's health.
In Dakshina Kannada/Udupi/Mangalore /Malenadu region there is a traditional saying that one should not season the food, or prepare dosa or even keep oil for frying. Doing these frying, preparing dosa on hot tava and keeping a pan on the fire and seasoning will hurt the snake body and people who does might get a curse from the snake. There may be a reason to do these customs but it is said in this way.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things Needed :Jack Fruits : 10 to 15
Rava/Semolina : 2 Cups ( Small cup)
Jaggery /Bella : 1 Cup
Coconut : 1 Cup
Cardamom : 6 to 8 pods
Ghee 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Salt : A pinch
1 Cup Rava : 1 and 1/2 Cup Water.
Method :1. Grate coconut and remove the pods from jack fruits. Remove the pods from cardamom.
2. Grind it nicely till it turns like paste. Use required water to grind. Add jaggery and give a churn.
3. Shift the mixture to a bowl. Add a pinch of salt to it.
4. Dry roast medium size rava for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add ground jack fruit -coconut mixture to rava and mix all the ingredients nicely.
6. Stir till the batter turns thick. Add ghee little by little and stir.
7. The batter starts to get thick and leaves the pan.
8. Stir for another 5 more minutes and shift the ready jackfruit halubai to a ghee spread plate.
9. Spread it nicely and equally around the plate.
10. Leave it for cooling and then cut it according to your desired shape.
Note .Dry roast rava/semolina. You can use chiroti rava instead of medium size rava. The water should be
1 1/2 times more than rava. 1 Cup rava; 1 1/2 cup of water. Adding more jaggery is optional. Adding more ghee is optional. We do eat this halubai with a spoon of ghee on the top. Adding cashews or any other nuts is purely optional.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : According to your wish.
Purely South Canara Dish.