I have tried Tomato Rice with using this green channa. I was bit busy after buying the fresh channa leaves (along with channa) and could not eat or prepare some thing out of it. It all turned little yellow so I cooked chenna and used for tomato rice.
Lets see the benefits of having channa (Kadale Kalu) in our diet.
Green Channa is rich in Vitamins B, carbohydrates and protein. It also contain Vitamin B - 6. It is also rich in soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Green channa contain many minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zink, and calcium. It is a good source of antioxidant
Here is a recipe of "Green Channa -Capsicum -Tomato rice. We can have this rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have used tomatoes, capsicum, green channa and rice with simple spices. You can enjoy eating this with a cup of curd. No onion or no garlic is used and it can be prepared during festival. Adding Onion and garlic is surely an option. We can prepare this tomato rice for get together or Kitty parties.
Things Needed :Cooked Rice : 2 Cups
Capsicum : 1
Tomatoes : 4 to 5
Green Channa : 1 Cup
Green chilly : 2
Ginger : 1 Table spoon ( an inch of ginger)
Rasam Powder : 2 Table spoon
Garam Masala : 1/2 Tea spoon
Oil : 2 Table spoons
Ghee : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Mustard Seeds : 1 Tea spoon
Urid Dal : 1 Tea spoon
Coconut : 3 to 4 Table spoons. (1/2 Cup)
Salt : To taste
Curry Leaves : 8 to 10
Lemon Extract : 1 lemon extract.
Method :1. Wash and cook 2 cups of rice and green channa separately in pressure cooker. Let it cool.
2. Wash and cut tomatoes, Capsicum, Green chilly.
3.Wash and remove the outer skin of ginger and wash again and great and keep it aside.
4.Grate coconut and keep it aside.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat.Add oil and put mustard seeds, urid dal.
6.Let the mustard spurt. Add green chilly and fry for 10 seconds.
7. Add curry leaves and cut capsicum and fry nicely for 2 minutes.
8. Add cut tomatoes and fry for 2 more minutes. Now add cooked green channa and mix it well.
9. Add Rasam Powder and Garam Masala powder and fry nicely till it thickens.
10. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and required salt. Mix it well.
11. Add cooked rice and mix it well. Let the process be on low flame.
12. Now let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Now add ghee and lemon extract and mix it well.
13. Shift Green Channa - Capsicum Tomato rice to a serving bowl.
14. Add coconut to this rice and mix it well again.
Note :Do not over cook rice. You can add raw green channa it you able to get it. It taste differ. You can also add more vegetables like beans, potatoes, carrots etc. The taste may differ. MTR or Maiyya;s Rasam powder and Garam Masala powder can be used. You can also use tamarind pulp instead of lemon extract. Adding a spoon of " Puliyogre Powder" instead of lemon gives the good taste and aroma.
Do not burn the vegetables while frying or no need to use more oil. You can also use onions and garlic. Add it when the mustard spurt and fry them nicely. you can use dried channa instead of green channa . Soak dry channa in water for at least 4 to 5 hours and then cook in a pressure cooker and then use it for the preparation.
Time : The whole process 40 minutes.
If cooked rice is ready then its only : 20 minutes.
Serves : 5 to 6