Avarekai /Hyacinth Bean /Field Bean is still available in the market. It is a seasonal pod and it is loaded with proteins, vitamins and minerals. Avarekai - Millet rotti is nice to have for breakfast or snack or for dinner.
In Avarekai season this bean is used in almost all the dishes. People do make use of this pod and it is loved by many many people.
I have used Avarekai, Millet /JOla flour, carrots, lots of coriander leaves and Cucumber Sasive.
You might wonder why to add cucumber sasive to rotti. You can try this and then you will really agree with me. It adds softness to rotti, the aroma of cucumber is really nice when you are eating this rotti.
I had this cucumber sasive which is made for lunch. We call this dish as sasive because mustard seeds are added while grinding coconut, chilly and cucumber. Then the ground mixture is mixed with thick curd. Seasoning with coconut oil and mustard seeds with ingh and curry leaves adds heavenly taste to this curry. This Cucumber - Sasive is normally served in the beginning of the lunch as one of the side dish.
No ONION OR NO GARLIC ADDED TO THIS AVAREKAI - JOLADA ROTTI.
Let us see the recipe.
Things needed :Cooked Avarekai/ Hyacinth Bean : 1 Cup
Jola /Millet flour : 2 Cups
Medium size Rava / Sooji : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Cucumber Sasive : 1 Small Cup
Coriander leaves : 1/2 Bundle ( Small bundle ).
Carrots : 1 to 2
Fresh Coconut : 2 Tablespoons
Curry Leaves : 1 Handful
Ginger : Grated : 1 Tablespoon
Salt : As required
Oil : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Method :1. Take a big bowl and add millet flour, rava, grated carrots, cut coriander leaves, salt and cooked avarekai. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger, wash it again and grate it.
2. Add cucumber sasive, grated ginger and required water to it. Mix it well and leave it for 5 minutes.
3. Keep the tava on the fire and put 1/2 tsp of oil on it. Spread it nicely.
4. Let the flame be very low. Take a handful of rotti batter and spread it on the tava slowly.
5. You can spread it as thin as you like. Sprinkle little oil on the top.
6. Spread the batter on the tava as thin as you want. ( With the help of Spatula /Mogocho kai).
7. Sprinkle little more oil and cover the rotti. Cook on medium and low flame.
8. Turn the other side slowly and cook for 1 to2 minutes.
9. Avarekai - Jola /Millet Rotti is ready to serve. Serve with the side dish you have prepared.
10 We had this rotti with chutney powder, ghee/butter, pickle on the top.
Note :Wash carrots and remove the outer layer, before you grate carrots.
Wash green chilly, coriander leaves and curry leaves nicely before you cut it.
Wash and cut green chilly in to small.
Use of cucumber sasive is optional. You can use grated cucumber and curd instead of sasive.
Use of rava is optional. Adding rava helps the rotti to be crispy and tasty.
Adding cooked avarekai will be soft and crunchy. Do not add un cooked avarekai to the batter. It does not taste good and avare kai will not be cooked properly.
Time 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.