I have used red chilly, coconut, unripe mango and gotu kola leaves.
Let us see some benefits of eating Gotu Kola leaves.
People call this leaf as brahmi leaves. But actually it is not Brahmi leaves. It is also known as Ondelaga , because it has only one leaf in its stem. It is also known as Timire in South Canara region.
Gotu Kola is known for its medicinal values. It is popular for its memory power it provides. Gotu Kola is known as brain booster. It helps to strengthen our memory. It helps to keep our mind calm and cool and free from anxiety. Gotu Kola helps in improving damaged cells in brain and rebuilds the brain tissues. It is good for treating Alzheimer disease. It is a rich source of antioxidants and they help to remove anti radicals. Eating gotu kola leaves helps to strengthen our immune system. It helps to treat gastric ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome. It helps in regulating blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
No onion or garlic is used in this Mango - Ondelaga Leaves Chutney.
Let us see the recipe now :
It is an easy, simple and healthy chutney.
Things Needed :
Mango : 1
Coconut : 1 Big bowl. ( 1/2 of 1 coconut ).
Ondelaga leaves : 10 to 12. ( Use only leaves if you are using hybrid quality ).
Red chilly : 4 to 5
Salt : To taste
Soaked Moong Dal : 1 Teaspoon
For Seasoning :
Coconut Oil : 1 Teapoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh /Asafoetida : A pinch.
1. Wash and clean mango and remove the outer layer. Cut the mango into small pieces. Wash Ondelaga/ Gotu Kola leaves and keep it aside. Remove the stem and keep the leaves aside.
2. Grate coconut and keep it aside. Soak a teaspoon of moong dal for 5 minutes.
3. Keep a pan on the fire and put 1/2 teaspoon of oil. Fry red chilly for a minute.
4. Put grated coconut, soaked moong dal, fried red chilly and cut mango pieces to a mixi jar.
5. Add required water and Ondelaga leaves. Grind it nicely, add required salt, churn a bit and remove from the mixi jar.
6. Add mustard seasoning with ingh and curry leaves. Add this to Mango - Ondelaga Leaves chutney.
7. Serve with your choice of main dish that you have prepared.
Adding fried red chilly adds to taste. Mango adds to the taste.
Adding more / less coconut it your choice. Adding soaked moong dal binds all the ingredients nicely and good for health.
Time : 15 minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.