Kodo millet is known as Varagu in Tamil, Arkalu in Telugu, ಅರ್ಕ / ಹರಕ in Kannada
Let us see some benefits of eating Arka/ Harka Millet in our diet.
Millet grains are good to have because they are rich in nutrients, B - Vitamins and Calcium, iron, protein, zinc, magnesium. They are rich source of essential fats in our body. They contain high level of protein and dietary fiber.
Millet helps to protect our heart, prevent diabetes, improve the digestive system. Eating millet helps to detoxify the body and improve our respiratory health. They also boost the immune system and gives energy and helps in nerve and muscle health.
Let us see the recipe now
No Onion OR No Garlic is used in this Arka / Kodo Millet Mango Rice.
All you need is raw mango, green chilly, Arka millet and seasoning spices.
Arka /Kodo Millet : 2 Cups
Grated Mango /Any raw mango : 1 Small Cup ( 3 to 4 Tablespoons).
Green chilly : 3 to 4
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8 or little more
Salt : To taste
Coconut Oil/Ghee : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Mustard seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1 Teaspoon
1.Clean Arka millet and wash. Pressure cook and keep it aside.
3. Wash and slit green chilly, cut coriander leaves and curry leaves.
4. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
6. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add slit green chilly and curry leaves.
7. Add grated mago and fry for 2 minutes. Add salt, turmeric powder and mix it well.
10. Add grated coconut and mix it slowly. Shift the ready Arka Millet Mango Rice to a serving dish.
11. Add cut coriander leaves.
12. Serve with a cup of curd.
Note :The proportion of water to cook Arka : 1 cup Arka : 2 Cups of water.
Use of onion or garlic is purely option. Use of any kind of cooking oil is optional. Adding Ghee to Arka Mango Rice adds to the taste. Use of more/less chilly is optional. Cooking Arka helps you to mix with mango mixture nicely. It should be cooled after cooking
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4 .