Pulav is a rice dish prepared with Rice, vegetables, and some spices like clove, cinnemon, cardamom. There are different varieties of Palav and each state has its own recipe and the way to cook.
Palav is a poppular rice dish which is very famous in the North India and it has influenced the South and the whole world.
The Sanskrit word Palanna meaning a mixture of Vegetables and rice. The English spelling is influenced by the Modern Greek Pilafi which comes from the Turkish word due to the wast spread of the dish , there exist variations of the name in many languages. Its called Polou, Palov, Ppilau, Polaao
(Bengali), Palav/Pulav(Hindi/Urdu) etc
Pulav is a spicy dish cooked with vegetable and spices together, or cooked vegetables. As I said before there are different ways and types of Pulav.
Here is a recipe of Pulav, Rice cooked with Peas & Beans, whch is very easy and it can be enjoyed with the whole familay at any time of the day and I am sure all age group will defenitely love the Pulav and Green apple chutney.
Things Needed :
Basmati Rice : 2 Cups
Peas :1 Cup
Beans : 1 Cup
Cinnamon : an inch
Clove : 4 to 6
Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 Tea spoon
Oil : 1 Table spoon
Ghee : 2 Table spoons
Coriander leaves : 3 to 4 Tea spoons.
Green chilly : 2
Ginger : 1 Table spoon (grated)
Coconut : 2 to 3 table spoons
Salt : to taste
Water : required
1. Wash and keep the Basmati rice aside.
2. Wash peas, beans, green chilly and coriander leaves.
3. Cut beans, coriander leaves and green chilly. Grate ginger and coconut.
4. Keep a pan on the fire. Heat and put oil.
5. Put clove and cinnemon. Fry for 10 seconds.
6. Add green chilly, cut beans and peas.
7. Fry them for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garam masala and fry for 10 seconds.
8. Add rice and fry nicely for a minute or 2.
9. Add ginger and put off the fire.
10. Now shift the fried rice -vegetables mixture to a rice cooker.
11. Add 1 = 2 water to the rice.
12. Add coconut and ghee mix it once nicely.
13. The rice cooker will be off once the Paluv is done.
14. Leave it for 5 minutes in the Rice Cooker, then mix it well and shift it to a serving dish.
15. Serve with Green Apple chutney and apple raitha along with Peas Pauv.
You can also add other vegetables along with beans and peas. (Carrots- capsicum etc).
You can add more spice if you wish Paluv to be spicy. More ghee also can be used. It adds tothe taste.
You can also use onions and garlic. You can cook this Rice -Vegetable mixture in a pressure cooker too.
(8 to 10 Minutes) You can use Sona masuri rice also. The propotion of water is for Sona Masuri is 1 = 3.
Time : 1 hour (preparation + cooking)
Serves : 3 to 4
Recipe for Green Apple Chutney :
Cut green apple (1), Green chilly (2), a small marble size tamarind and 1 cup of grated coconut. Grind all the ingredients with salt and Green Apple chutney is ready to serve.