It is so easy to prepare and enjoy.
This chutney is so handy and it helps and eases our daily work . In South Canara in our homes we normally do not prepare chutney always. It has become a habit that we use varieties of pickles especially mango pickles. The varieties of mango pickle like, ಕೆತ್ತೆ, ಅಡುಗಾಯಿ, ಮಿಡಿ, ಹಿಂಡಿ, /kette, adugaayi, midi, hindi etc. Each type of pickle is yummy to taste and some last long at least for 2 to 3 years even.
I have used raw mango, mustard seeds, coconut oil, roasted methi/Fenugrik seeds, red chilly powder.
No need to keep mangoes in salt, or boil any salt water.
I have used one big raw mango.
Let us see the recipe
Things needed :Raw mango : 1 Big size
Mustard seeds : 2 Tablespoons
Methi seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Salt : 5 to 6 Tablespoons
Chilly Powder : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
To Season/Temper :
Coconut Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Ingh /Asafoetida : A pinch
Method :1. Wash and wipe mango with clean towel. Leave it for a few minutes.
2. Peel off the green outer layer and cut mango into very small pieces.
3. Take a big bowl and put mango pieces and salt. Mix it well and leave it for a few minutes.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add methi/ seeds and put it to a bowl. Let it cool.
5. Dry grind dry raw mustard seeds, add methi seeds and dry grind it nicely.
6. Add red chilly powder and dry grind it for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Now add cut mango soaked in salt. Let it turn as paste and turn as chutney.
8. Mix it with a spoon edge and grind it again.
9. Remove the ready chutney to a serving bowl.
10. Add coconut oil, mustard seeds and ingh/Asafoetida seasoning and mix it nicely.
11. Let it cool completely. Store it in a glass bottle and use it as you like.
NoteRemember that to wipe mango nicely and then use it. Adding more oil, chilly powder is optional.
Use of coconut oil is optional. You can also prepare mango rice chitranna using this mango chutney.
Any brand of chilly powder is optional. I have used MTR red chilly powder.
Time : 20 Minutes.
Serves : Depends upon the servings.