Mango/mavinakai /raw mango tokku/chutney is one of the side dish that goes well with curd rice/plain rice or with any other main dishes for spicy lovers. It is good to have them for good digestion.
Time : 10 Minutes.
The season is here and here we go with one of the best tokku/chutney in Udupi style.
This Mango chutney is one of the handy dish. We can mix this tokku with plain rice and turn it as Mango sasive chitranna./Savoury Spicy Rice.
I have used raw mago, green chilly, red chilly powder, methi and mustard seeds.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things Needed :
Raw Mango : 2 . (Savoury mangoes)
Green chilly : 2 to 3
Red chilly powder : 1 Tablespoon.
Mustard seeds : 1 Tablespoon
Methi seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Salt : 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
1. Wash mango and clean it with a clean towel. See that all the moisture goes off.
2. Grate it and keep it aside.
3. Wash and slit green chilly and keep it aside.
4. Dry grind mustard seeds and keep the powder aside. ( 1 Tablespoon full).
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil and mustard seeds. ( 1 Teaspoon). Let it splutter.
6. Add slit green chilly and mustard seeds. Fry for a minute. Add Asafotida.
7. Add grated mangoes and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix it well.
8. Add salt and stir till it changes its colour and thickens.
9. Add red chilly powder and mustard seeds. Stir till the oil oozes on the top and the sides.
10. Stir for another 3 to 4 minutes and put off the gas. Let it cool slowly. (Let it be in the pan til it cools down).
11. Shift the ready Mango Tokku to a clean bottle.
12. Serve ready Mango chutney whenever you wish.
Adding more oil is optional. It should be cooked well without adding any water. Even a drop of water /moisture makes the chutney to spoil spoon. Adding more chilly is optional. I have used coconut oil to prepare this tokku. Use of Til /Sesame oil is optional.. You can keep this tokku for at least 3 to 6 months in fridge. It is always better to keep this tokku in a fridge. ( Some time by mistake using a wet spoon makes the tokku to for fungus. Be careful and use dry spoon.