Minimum ingredients are used in this curry. It is easy, simple, quick and healthy. We have a practice of eating or serving these types of
I had brought some home grown bendekai/Lady finger from my sister's house. They were very few and thought of preparing simple sasive.
This is called as Ooru bendekai, normally grown in Udupi and South Canara Region. Since it is grown in housed like kitchen garden it got its name as ooru bende./ Lady Finger.
Ondelaga leaves are known as Gotu Kola / centella Asiatic pennywort.
I have used Ondealga Gotu Kola leaves, fresh coconut, mustard seeds and green chilly to grind and fried lady finger and added to sasive. you can try this and enjoy this healthy Sasive. Sasive means mustard seeds and here we use mustard seeds to prepare this curd curry and the curry get the name as Sasive.
Ondelaga leaves should be used as raw and cooking the leaves will lose its medicinal values. Ondelaga leaves are good to control cholesterol level in our body. They also helps to control blood sugar level and blood pressure level. They are filled with nutritious value. They help in good digestion, immunity and they do contain loads of anti oxidant properties.
It is very nice to note we do have lots of Ondelaga leaves in our house. We grow them in pots. They can be used for chutneys while grinding, fresh lime juice or even in butter milk.
Ondealga - Lady Finger Sasive can be eaten with plain rice, chapatis, rotis etc it is curd based curry and goes well with almost all main dishes.
Quick Ondelaga - Lady Finger Sasive is - No Onion or No garlic dish
Things Needed :To Fry :
Lady Finger : 8 to 10 ( Small size )
To grind :
Coconut : 2 Tablespoons
Ondelaga Leaves : 1 Handful
Green chilly : 2
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
For Seasoning :
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Jeera /Cumin seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh/Asfoetida : A pinch for grinding and seasoning.
To Add :
Salt : As required
Curd /yogurt : 1 Cup
Coriander leaves : 1 Tablespoon
Method :1. Wash and dry all water from bendikai/Lady's Finger. Cut Bendekai/Lady's finger into very small.
2. Wash curry leaves,coriander leaves and Ondelaga /Gotu Kola leaves and keep it aside. Cut coriander leaves into small pieces.
3. Grate coconut and grind it with, Ondelaga /Gotu Kola leaves, green chilly and 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds. Add required salt and a pinch of ingh and churn for 1 minute.
4. Remove it from the mixi jar. Keep it aside.
5. Keep a small pan and put 1 tbs of oil. Add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds, jeera/cumin seeds and a pinch of ingh/Asafoetida.
6. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add curry leaves, ingh /asafoetida and add bendekai.
7. Fry the pieces till they turn crisp and turn golden brown.
8. Add this fried bendi/lady's finger to already grind sasive mix. Add curd and mix it well.
9. Shift the ready Ondelaga /Gotu Kola to a serving dish add cut coriander leaves and serve as one of the side dish.
Note :Use little mustard seeds ( 1/2 tsp for 1 cup of coconut approximately), so that mustard aroma is well mixed with coconut. Adding more chily is optional. Do not use very old curd. It might spoil the whole aroma of Sasive.
Time : 15 Minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3.
Hybreed Ondelaga leaves
Home grown Ondelaga : Gotu Kola Leaves.