Thursday, March 26, 2009

VEGETABLE CHITRANNA( LEMON RICE WITH VEGETABLES)

Chitranna/Lemon rice is one of the easy and tasty dish. Just adding some vegetables to chitranna Helps to get some nutrients. Vegetable Chitranna is made of Rice and vegetables + lLemon . It can be eaten at any time of the day.
It is easy to prepare and we can have them for breakfast, brunch, Kids lunch box, one pot meal, festival or feast and ladies party,


No Onion or No Garlic is added in this Vegetable Chitranna.
Lets see the recipe Now :
Things Needed:
Cooked Rice :2 Cups
Carrots : 2
Capsicum : 1
Lemon " 1 ( Medium Size )'
Coconut : 2 table spoon ( Fresh and grated )
Green chilly : 2 to 3
Curry leaves : 5 to 6
Coriander leaves : 2 to 3 sticks
Oil:  1 Tablespoon
Ghee : 2 Tablespoons
Mustard : 1/2 tea spoon
Urd Daal : 1/2 Tea spoon
Cashew nuts : 5 to 6 ( cut into small pieces )
Salt : To taste.
Turmeric : A pinch
Method :
1. Wash and cook rice and let it get cool.
2. Wash and grate carrots and cut capsicum into small. Slit green chilly.
3. Grate coconut and keep it aside. Cu lemon and squeeze out the juice and keep it aside.
4. Now Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil. Put mustard seeds and urid dal.


5. Let it splutter. Add cashews (optional). Add slit green chilly.
6. Add curry leaves and mix it well. Add grated carrots and fry for 1 minute. Add cut capsicum.

7. Fry nicely till they turn soft and add cooked rice, grated coconut and mix it well.

8. Add turmeric powder and required salt. Mix it well slowly. Let it cook for a minute.
9. Put off the fire and add lemon extract, coriander leaves. Add ghee and mix it  slowly.


10. Shift the ready Vegetable Chitranna to a serving dish. Serve with a cup of curd.
Note :
Do not over cook rice or vegetables. Adding cashews is optional. You can add groundnuts instead of cashews. Adding more chilly is optional. Adding ginger is optional. (I did not add). Adding more vegetables like beans, peas is optional. (Cook beans and peas till soft and then add). Adding onions and garlic is optional. (I have not added).
Time : 20 Minutes + Cooking rice : 20 minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4 

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog as I'm interested in South Indian cooking! I'll try making some of the burfis and the cabbage dry curry. I was wondering if you could help me. I've been trying to reproduce a white pumpkin curry that I had in a few hotels/restaurants in Karnataka (and maybe Kerala, too). It seems more simple than spicy and has toor (tuvar) dal (I think) and is creamy (maybe from coconut milk). I've tried many times but I can't make it taste right. I have no problems making delicious sambhar, bisi bele bhat and more but I can't seem to make this dish. Any help is appreciated and I'll keep reading your blog. Thanks, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee Andrea.... Thanks for the encouraging comment.
    You can try out the curries which I am posting it specially for you. Let me know how it has come out in your hands. I hope you get the taste you are looking for ...

    ReplyDelete

Jack fruits Seeds Tikki

Jack fruits are healthy Seasonal fruits. The seeds also contain lots of good vitamins and minerals.  After eating the fruit we throw away th...

About

author
My name is Nalini Somayaji. Teaching is my profession. Cooking is my passion. Reading, travelling, visiting new places, having fun with kids are some of the hobbies I can say. My recipes are Healthy, quick, easy and simple. Grown up being a traditional family member I love and respect Indian culture and traditions. Love classical dance and music.
Learn More →