Aralu Hittu /Gundittu is special flour prepared with puffed rice. Dry roasted puffed rice /a type of avalakki is ground to make flour and then used for preparing Laddu.
Udupi Shri Krishna temple is in Udupi and I am very proud that I belong to that region. I have seen Shri Krishna's Astami Sambrama so many times in Ratha beedi./Car street, the street around the Asta Matt.
Varieties of Eatables are prepared for Shri Krishna and it is kept as Naivedyam at night. According to to the star Rohini, Shri Krishna's birth. People fast whole day on that day, ( Shravana Masada Shukla pakshada 8 ne dina ). Then only people eat. The very next day whole of Udupi and around Udupi the celebration starts in the morning. People decorate themselves different Vesha/Costume and visit houses and get some money. It is fun to watch these and you do enjoy seeing many people with different costume. Huli Vesha / People in the costume gather and dance according to the beat as tigers it is really fantastic. All these people go to Udupi Vitla Pindi Utsav, they do take part in the celebrations and processions with Lord Shri Krishna and Lord Mukya Prana/Hanuman/Hanumantha /Maruthi.
The Golden Chariot is pulled around the Car Street , Shri Krishna sitting in it. The whole place is filled with people around the world to watch Shree Krishna's Utsav. Number of Huli Vesha groups dances and the instruments like drums and other musical instruments are played and move with Shri Krishna's procession. We say our janma pavana by seeing the Utsav.
Laddus prepared by Mutts, distributed to the whole large group which do take part in processions andsome schools, near by offices, banks also will get the prasads from Shri Krishna Mutt.
This is about Shri Krishna Astami/Gokulastami celebrations
Even at home different varieties of laddus are prepared for naivedyams and Aralu Unde is one of it.
This Aralu Hittu is available only during Astami time.
I have been to Udupi just before Shri Krishna Janmastami and brought some flour and prepared this laddus.
This puffed rice is already roasted and no need to roast the flour again. You can add ghee according to your requirements. Adding more ghee helps the laddu to be tasty. Less ghee turns the laddu hard after a day and you need to break a laddu and have it. ( It means its hard to eat).
Aralu Hittu is good for health and it helps to keep your body warm.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Ingredients :Aralu Hittu /Gundittu : 3 Cups
Ghee : 1/2 Cup or little more
Jaggery : 1 1/2 Cup ( Powdered)
Cardamom : 6 to 8 Pods
Cashews : 2 Tablespoons ( Cut into small)
Raisins : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Coconut : 1 Cup
Sesame Seeds : 2 Tablespoons
Method :1. Powder jaggery and keep it aside.
2. Grate coconut and dry grind it, keep it aside. Dry roast sesame seeds and powder it.
3. Remove the pods from cardamom and powder it.
4. Keep a small pan and put 2 tablespoons of ghee. Fry cashews and
5. Keep a pan and put jaggery and 1/4 cup of water. Let the flame be low.
Let jaggery melt and bubbles starts and it starts to bubble.
6. Let it get one string syrup consistency. Keep stirring for another 2 minutes.
7. Add grated coconut and mix it well. Take out the pan on fire and put off the fire.
8. Add Gundittu/ Aralu flour and mix it well. Add ghee fried cashews and raisins.
9. Add remaining ghee and mix it slowly. Add powdered cardamom.
10. Take a handful of mixture in your palm and fold the palm tightly and turn the flour in round shape.
11. Repeat the same and prepare laddu /unde and arrange them in a tray or bowl.
12. Put them in a serving bowl. Let it cool. Store them in a air tight box or bottle and serve as you wish.
Note :Let the syrup consistency be just little more thicker than one string consistency. Check the consistency with your finger tips. It should be slightly sticky. Not watery. Let the mixture be bit cool to turn them as laddu. The hot mixture burns the hand because of the heat. Add little ghee if you feel that, the mixture is completely dry. You can add hot milk also, but you can not store them for a long. Milk used Laddu get fungus. So better use melted ghee. Adding more jaggery is optional.
If dry roasted avalakki is available you can buy and powder the avalakki and use it for laddu.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3o to 40 Laddus/Unde.