Dal / Toor or Moong is not used in this curry and very little spices are used here.
Let us see some benefits of eating Coriander Seeds in our diet.Coriander Seeds have pleasant aroma and it is used as condiments in our culinary dishes.
Coriander seeds helps in preventing and treating diabetes. It helps in treating osteoporosis. It helps to cure digestive disorder. Helps in preventing abdominal pains. It is good for ladies who suffer during their menstrual chronic/crams pains. It is a good remedy for skin related problems. Good for anemia, for treating inflammation,controlling and regulating high cholesterol levels. It is good for mouth ulcers, indigestion, eye related problems and lowering the blood sugar level. It has a cooling effect on our body and is used for eye related problems. ( Wash and soak coriander seeds for 30 minutes, strain twice with clean towel or cloth and then use it as drops to eyes. It helps in cooling our eyes, sooth our eyes and your eyes will be refreshed). Be careful and it should be clean coriander water, no dust or any dirt should enter our eyes.
Coriander seeds are filled with vitamins and minerals. It is filled with proteins, carbohydrates, phosphorus, calcium, iron, Vitamin B, C and A.
Let us see the recipe Now :
No Onion or Garlic is used here in this Jack Seeds - Southekai Kootu.
Mangalore Cucumber is known as Mangalore Southekai/ Bannada Southekai, Haladi Southekai.
Things Needed :To Cook :
Southe kai / Mangalore Cucumber : 1 Bowl . ( 1/2 of One big Southekai )
Jack Seeds : 1 Small bowl (About 10 Seeds).
Methi Seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
To Grind :
Fresh Grated Coconut : 5 to 6 Tablespoons
Coriander Seeds : 1 Tablespoon
Tamarind : 1 Big Marble size
Jeera / Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Pepper Pods : 3 to 4
Red chilly : Byadagi : 4 to 5
To Add :
Salt : As required
Turmeric Powder : A pinch
Coriander leaves : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard Seasoning : 1 Tablespoon : 1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 red chilly, pinch of ingh and curry leaves with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
Method :1. Remove the outer shell of jack seeds and cut them into small pieces. Soak in plain water for 10 minutes.
2. Wash and remove the outer layer, pulp and seeds inside the southekai.
3. Cut Southekai into small pieces and soak in plain water for 5 minutes. It helps in take away the bitterness in Southekai.
4. Put cut Southekai pieces and jack seeds pieces in a pressure cooker. Add methi seeds and required water and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
5.Grate coconut and add coriander seeds, jeera, red chilly, pepper pods and grind it with required water.
6. Keep a pan on the fire and put cooked Southekai and jack seeds to it. Add turmeric powder and required salt. Mix it well and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add ground coconut, coriander mixture to boiling mixture and mix it well. Let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
8. Put little coriander leaves to the cooked curry and shift it to the serving dish, Add mustard, red chilly, ingh, curry leaves seasoning on the top.
9. Serve with the main dish you have prepared. You can add a spoon of fresh ghee just before serving.
Note :Do not over cook the vegetables. Soaking jack seeds helps to cook seeds nicely and soft. Adding less/more coconut is optional. You can add 1/2 teaspoon of soaked raw rice while grinding. ( Soak raw rice for 5 minutes and then add/ optional). It helps the kootu to be thick. Do not add more tamarind. The curry gets savoury. Use of coconut oil is optional. Do not roast coriander seeds and jeera. Adding methi seeds while cooking vegetable helps to reduce the cholesterol in curry.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4 .