I have used Potatoes, drumsticks, sambar powder, toor dal and little coconut. The curry is really delicious and all the main dishes can be enjoyed with this Drumstick - Potato Curry.
Let us see what do they call drumstick in some of our Indian States.
Drumstick's Scientific name is Moringa Oleifera.
Drumsticks /Nuggekai in Kannada language - Karnataka, Murungakkai in Tamil. Muringakkaya or Muringakka in Malayalam. Munnakaya Mulaku Kada and in Hindi it is Sajjam Ki Phalli, Saigan, shinga segva. In Bengali Sajane Dauta and in Gujarathi Saragvani Shing and in Konkani Moska Saang/ Massingasaang, Marati - shevaga/Sheng and in Panjabi - Savonjna and in Tulu Nurge.
Let us see some benefits of Eating Drumsticks in our diet.
Drumstick is filled with nutritious value.
They do contain calcium, vitamins, zinc and iron. They are rich in B -Complex vitamins, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B 1, B-2, B-3. Vitamin A, Vitamin C and magnesium.
Drumstick and its leaves helps to control blood sugar level in our body. They help to improve digestive help. It helps in building the strong bones in our body. It helps to purify the blood. It helps to relieves respiratory disorders. It helps to boost immunity in our body. It contain antioxidant properties.
Caution :Pregnant women should not consume drumsticks or its leaves. Eating Drumstick curry or any other form might cause abortion.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Things Needed :To Cook :
Drumstick : 4 to 5
Toor dal : 1/2 Cup. ( 3 to 4 Tablespoons )
Potatoes : 2 to 3
To Grind :
Sambar powder : 2 Tablespoons
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Coconut : 1 Small Cup /3 to 4 Tablespoons
Tamarind Pulp : 1 Tablespoon
To Add :Seasoning : Mustard, curry leaves and ingh and Oil
Salt : As required
Coriander leaves : 2 Tablespoons ( Optional )
Turmeric powder : A pinch
Method :1. Wash and cut drumsticks into small pieces. Peel of the outer layer of drumstick.
2. Wash and cut potatoes into pieces.
3. Wash toor dal and pressure cook drumstick pieces, potato pieces and toor dal with required water.
4. Soak a small marble size of tamarind in hot water and squeeze out the pulp.
5. Grate coconut and grind it with, 1/2 Teaspoon jeera, tamarind pulp and sambar powder. Add required water to grind.
6. Remove the ground coconut mixture and keep it aside.
7. Keep a pan on the fire and put cooked drumstick, potatoes and toor dal. Add required salt.
8. Add a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix all the ingredients slowly. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Add ground coconut - spice mixture and mix it slowly. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Shift the ready Drumstic Potato Curry to a serving dish.
11. Prepare seasoning with mustard seeds, curry leaves and ingh and add it to ready to serve sambar.
12. Add cut coriander leaves and serve Drumstick - Potato Sambar with the main dish you have prepared.
Note :Do not over cook potatoes and drumsticks. You cook it separately. Adding any brand of sambar powder is optional. Adding jeera while grinding helps the curry to be free from gas formation in the stomach. I did not peel off potatoes. Adding garlic and onions to curry is optional. Stir the curry slowly.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 4 to 5.