I have used Dates, Nendra bale and elakki banana with raisins, a few cashews and jaggery. I have also used poppy seeds on the top and it gives a yummy taste and you really enjoy having them.
Let us see some benefits of eating Poppy Seeds in our diet.
Poppy seeds are good content of calcium and magnesium. Calcium helps our bones and teeth to be strong and it helps the nerve and muscle function well. Magnesium helps in providing energy to the body. Poppy seeds have good source of anti -inflammatory properties. It helps to treat sleep disorder/insomnia. It is a good source of dietary fiber, minerals like calcium, magnesium andiron, vitamins and omega 6 fatty acids. Poppy seeds are used in Ayurvedic medicines. It is said to be a great pain reliever. It improves immunity in our body. It helps to improve digestion and prevent kidney stones. It is also used in cosmetics.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Things Needed :Nendra banana /Nendra balehannu : 2
Yalakki Banana : 2
Corn flakes : 1 Bowl ( Medium sized bowl)
Jaggery : 1 Cup
Almonds : 10 to 12
Raisins : 1 Handful
Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons. / Little more than 1/2 cup
Dates : 250 Grams
Chiroti Rava /Thin variety of rava : 3 Tablespoons
Poppy Seeds/ Gasagase : 2 Tablespoons
Method :1. Remove the seeds from dates and remove the outer layer of bananas.
2. Dry grind almonds /cut almonds into thin slices.
3. Grind dates and bananas together and remove it from the mixi jar.
4. Dry grind cornflakes and keep it aside.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and add jaggery. Add an half cup of water and let it melt completely.
6. Remove it from the pan and sieve it with a siever and keep the clean jaggery aside.
7. Keep a big pan on the fire and put cleaned jaggery and ground banana -dates mixture. Add powdered corn flakes. Mix all the ingredients well.
8. Stir nicely and let it cook on low flame. Add ghee in between and keep stirring the mixture.
9. Slowly the mixture starts to thicken and it starts to leave the pan. Add ghee and stir nicely.
10. Add small size rava/semolina and stir for 3 to 4 minutes. See that rava mixes well with halva.
11. Let the flame be slow and medium. It changes its colour and starts to leave the ghee.
12. Apply little ghee on a plate /tray and keep it ready. Add raisins and powdered almonds.
13. Put the ready Dates - Nendra Banana to the ghee greased plate and spread it evenly with a help of spoon.
14. Let it cool completely. Add poppy seeds on the top. Press a little on the top.
15. Cut Dates - Nendra Bale halva , according to your wish. ( Small / Big/diamond shape or a round shape.
16. Serve them once it is cooled completely.
Note.Halva is soft and delicious. Adding more nuts is optional. Adding more jaggery is optional. Do not add much semolina though it helps to thicken fast, it taste differ. Adding more ghee is optional.
Time : 30 to 35 Minutes.
Serves : 25 to 30 Small sizes.